Saturday, January 18, 2014

White Sauce

I use this sauce for everything from lasagna to soups and enchiladas to casseroles. It's a great base to add whatever flavor you're going for. It starts with equal amounts of butter and flour, add milk and salt and you're done!
Ingredients:
4 T butter (half a stick)
4 T flour
2 1/2 cups milk
1/2 -1 t. Salt
Directions:
melt butter in sauce pan. Whisk in flour and cook about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk, going slow at first to avoid lumps. Cook over medium heat until it boils, stirring regularly. Boil for about 1 minute then remove from heat. Stir in salt to taste (start little..) and use in recipe.
Note: sometimes I want my sauce thicker. Then I add an extra 2 T of flour. This makes it a little harder to get smooth, but you just have to be patient and whisk well while adding milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment