Sunday, March 20, 2011

Amazing Granola

Here is the most Nutty, fruity, healthy, hearty, flavorful granola I have ever eaten. The best part is it is so versitile. Switch it up with whatever you like.

The recipe came from my sister who got it off of All Recipes- posted by a Veronica S.
I halved and slightly altered her recipe. Here is my version:

*makes one large cookie sheet full -- enough to fill a large oatmeal container (which is what I keep mine in)
Ingredients:
3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup flax seeds
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 cup shredded coconut (I use sweetened)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds (unsalted is better)

1/2 cup canola oil (can use part or all olive oil. I use slightly less...)
3/4 cup honey (I use slightly more...)
*opt. season with salt, cinnamon and/or vanilla. (I just put a little of all of these, to taste, maybe half a teaspoon)

1/2 cups rasins
1/2 cup craisins

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees

In large bowl, stir together first 9 ingredients. If you don't have some of these, just use more oats, instead. Or substitute more of one nut to make up for another. (*Winco is a GREAT place to buy all these ingredients, if you have one nearby)

In a small pan over medium heat, stir together the oil and honey and seasonings (if desired). cook and stir until blended. (Or melt together in microwave) Pour over the oat mixture and stir to coat evenly. Spread out in an even layer on large cookie sheet.

Bake for 20 minutes, until the oats and nuts are toasted. (more if you like it on the crispy side) Immediately after taking it out of the oven, stir in raisins and crasins. Let stand until cool, then stir again to break up clumps. Store in airtight container for up to two weeks.

This is yummy! I am addicted! I hardly go a day without eating a bowl of this.

This is how I store my granola. I covered a used oatmeal container with paper and used stickers for the label. I just wipe it out each time it gets empty to keep the oil residue from getting rancid.

No comments:

Post a Comment