Sunday, December 29, 2013

Ham Bone Soup

A great use for leftover ham. A filling, comfort food. Great for chilly winter nights. I used the cock pot but can be done on the stove as well. Serve with cornbread. Oh, and remember to soak the beans the night before!
Ps. Even my picky girl LOVED this. She said, "I just ate a carrot and it didn't even taste like a carrot!" Score.
Ingredients:
Leftover ham bone with some meat left on it. (You can throw in some extra ham if there's not much on the bone.)
1-2 carrots
1 stalk celery
1/2 cup-ish onion
1-2 cloves garlic (a spoonful of the jar garlic works great.)
1lb dry beans, pre soaked (I used a bag of mixed beans meant for soup, minus the flavoring packet. You can use just white beans or a mix)
Seasonings-parsley, thyme, pepper, paprika. To taste. (don't add salt until you taste it, it may not need it. Ham is usually salty enough)
4 cups chicken broth (or bouillon)
4 cups water (if your slow cooker doesn't fit that much, you can add more water after you take the bone out.)
Instructions:
Soak beans overnight in enough water to cover them plus an extra two inches. Dice veggies. Cut fat off of ham bone. Add all ingredients to crock pot. Mine was done on high in about 5 hours. Maybe over done... If its going to be in there all day, I'd suggest a low setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment