This recipe was given to me by Susan Claybrook. I believe it was her mother or grandmother's, I'm not sure. She adjusted it for me to make one loaf but I am now needing to readjust it to make more! It doubles great, haven't tried tripling it though.
I hesitate to even post this on here, because #1 it's not my recipe and #2 it is almost too good to give away! But I do want it included in my recipes, so here goes: (this is from my head, not sure of exact measurments.)
Dissolve:
1 c. very warm water
1 T. yeast (or 1 packet)
1/3 c. sugar or honey
Once dissolved, add:
1/4 cup oil
some potatoes (maybe 1/4 cup?? more or less) either mashed leftovers or potato flakes both work well (sounds weird, I know, but it makes it soft and fluffy)
1 cup white flour
1 cup wheat flour
Then add:
1 teaspoon salt
maybe 2ish more cups flour (little at a time) I do half wheat, half white.
Knead dough, adding flour a little at a time until dough is not really sticky but not hard either.
I use a Kitchen Aid mixer, but it works great by hand too. When you're done kneading, just barely mix in a T. or so of oil to keep the dough from drying out and to grease the bowl.
cover. let rise to double. punch down. shape into loaf pan. let rise to top of pan.
make slice down middle of loaf if you want split top. bake @ 350 for app. 30 minutes or until golden. I butter the top when it comes out of the oven. make sure bottom is browned. cool on cooling rack.
I have made this SOOO many times (for almost a year I made it once a week) and I have to admit there were a few loafs that were less than desirable, but once I got it down this is a FAVORITE of all my family and friends. I get asked for the recipe all the time. (don't always give it though. I like being the ONE who makes really good bread)
I hesitate to even post this on here, because #1 it's not my recipe and #2 it is almost too good to give away! But I do want it included in my recipes, so here goes: (this is from my head, not sure of exact measurments.)
Dissolve:
1 c. very warm water
1 T. yeast (or 1 packet)
1/3 c. sugar or honey
Once dissolved, add:
1/4 cup oil
some potatoes (maybe 1/4 cup?? more or less) either mashed leftovers or potato flakes both work well (sounds weird, I know, but it makes it soft and fluffy)
1 cup white flour
1 cup wheat flour
Then add:
1 teaspoon salt
maybe 2ish more cups flour (little at a time) I do half wheat, half white.
Knead dough, adding flour a little at a time until dough is not really sticky but not hard either.
I use a Kitchen Aid mixer, but it works great by hand too. When you're done kneading, just barely mix in a T. or so of oil to keep the dough from drying out and to grease the bowl.
cover. let rise to double. punch down. shape into loaf pan. let rise to top of pan.
make slice down middle of loaf if you want split top. bake @ 350 for app. 30 minutes or until golden. I butter the top when it comes out of the oven. make sure bottom is browned. cool on cooling rack.
I have made this SOOO many times (for almost a year I made it once a week) and I have to admit there were a few loafs that were less than desirable, but once I got it down this is a FAVORITE of all my family and friends. I get asked for the recipe all the time. (don't always give it though. I like being the ONE who makes really good bread)
No comments:
Post a Comment